fredag 16. oktober 2009

Do good

"And let us not grow weary of doing good" (Gal. 6,9) was the topic of last night's Bible studies.

As I have mentioned earlier, there are quite many children begging at our door. And I sigh. I think "Oh, not again". Ashamed of my own reaction, I open the door, smile and think about how little it costs to give at least a glass of water and a fruit, and I am happy as long as they do not ask for money. It is not that I do not want to help them, or that it is impossible for me to get to the bank to withdraw some more cash if I give away what I have. Still it is so, so hard to represent the cruel injustice of this world. I wish myself out of my ethical dilemma, to a place with not so obvious differences between rich and poor. Ashamed once again, when I notice that I wish myself to the comfortable Norway... 

But what difference would it make, really? I would no less represent the fortunate part of the unequal, messed-up world we live in by going back home where everything is good for me.It would only add to my "ego-account". My prayer, therefore, is that God will fill me anew with His love and care for all people. And as I pray, I get so grateful that He actually grants me the grace of going here to learn and to face reality, and perhaps also of being a visible difference for some of His suffering children.

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me... Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you did it to me." (Matt. 25,35+40)

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar